Friday, December 17, 2010

More Elephants Foot Treasures!


Dear Billy poses next to an 18thc armoire




















Now, what could be better for a nice Christmas gift than something beautiful from The Elephants Foot, West palm beach? Here, I selected some of my fave things that I would like to get from a generous and jolly old Santa this year, or any year! Of course, things are just that, THINGS, and I do so treasure my friends and family and good health more than just material things, although I do have a deep weakness for all that is beautiful, old, patinated, and elegant. Functionality is nice too, but not at the top of my list of priorities! I'd rather stay up all night staring at a gorgeous new acquisition than just about anything! Even if it's just some old chair or some out of print book I never thought I'd own. These things make for an enriched life, and a life of passion, deep satisfaction, and joy beyond description. When I was a boy, my mother hired a decorator to do up our house, and I loved the cork walls and black doors in my room so much, that I stayed up all night just looking at them and thinking how amazing they were! His name was Jonathan Arbuthnot, and he drove a canary yellow Buick convertible - I was forever trying to tell him what I thought he should do, and was very precocious. The last time I saw him he was living in Arlington, outside Washington, D.C. I must look him up and see what he's been up to. Enjoy these shots from the EF, here in sunny south Florida. DF *****