Thursday, November 19, 2009

Petite Salon Deux

courtesy Dean Farris Interior Design 2009

As a boy, I read so many copies of "House & Garden" and "House Beautiful" that I became sort of a camera, retaining thousands of images in my memory bank. When I discovered the venerable firm of Parish-Hadley through these magazines, I was totally hooked, and later, I worked with a former PH designer (Tice) and got to know Albert quite well. This image of my Living Room in Naples shows a heavy influence from my studying and constantly reading shelter magazines. You can practically see the words house beautiful as a banner across the top of this picture ! My choice of a white tufted banquette was influenced by a picture I had seen of the couture salon of Yves St Laurent in Paris, now a museum, and the green velvet on the Louis XIV chairs was inspired by another iconic image showing Hubert de Givenchy's salon in Paris...the chandelier was inspired by Coco Chanel's apartment in Paris... as you can see I have gone totally mad for a kind of 18th century revival style favored by french fashion designers. Ooh la la ! DF ***** (image copyright Dean Farris 2009)

sidenote: the apartment of interior designer Jacques Garcia on the Place des Voges in Paris is my idea of heaven ! See "Architectural Digest" archives...