Wednesday, March 20, 2019

GRACIOUS: Chairs

Dean Farris Interior Design

I bought this chair many years ago from the estate of Holland Salley, who was one of the first designers to come to Naples in the early 1950s-  I enjoy the way an abundance of chairs and seating invites lots of friends and party guests to have a seat and stay a while, enjoy a drink or two, and lots of scintillating conversation-  I've thought about recovering it in a fabric as opposed to the leather that came with it ,but for now I shall leave it as it is- (I have no less than 11 chairs and two sofas in my small sitting room)
In a bizarre  coincidence I am now working with Deborah Hamilton, who used to be a vice president at Holland Salley!  Deborah is a very charming, attractive and intelligent woman and I greatly enjoy seeing her on a day-to-day basis at the Miromar Design center-
My friends and family are always teasing me about having too many chairs in my apartment however I'm compensating for not having 14 foot high ceilings and boiserie! These chairs remind me of old friends and the parties that I've had- and the pleasure I've gotten from entertaining my dear friends and family.  One can never have enough chairs and to paraphrase the late English decorator John Fowler, every room needs "a kick of French" !  DF