Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Remodel Progress !

I'm thrilled with these new cabinets, getting limestone tops

The new tub is in !

A vast improvement over what was...


I remember when I still thought that remodeling was not something I should be involved in. As if all I was to do was select furnishings, colors, draperies, etc. Now my mantra is backgrounds first, then the decoration... Like so many other designer/decorators, I have become obsessed with toilet fixtures, faucets, flooring materials, wall placement, kitchen appliances, and other seemingly unglamourous items... I suppose ones point of view changes as one evolves. I spend a lot of time thinking about cabinetry, storage solutions, closets, and flat screen television placement, while simultaneously dreaming of furniture placement, wall finishes, ceiling colors and treatments, and lighting and lighting fixtures ! All this, while envisioning myself as an artist whose canvas is the bare shell of a house or condominium - so, it's no wonder that a year or two later, I get a HUGE sense of relief and accomplishment from achieving for myself and the clients the satisfying and beautiful end result. Thousands of emails and phone calls later, the image begins to reveal itself, and all of the work and money seems worth it. Oh yes, dear reader, this is the reward ! May we all continue to be so fortunate as to have understanding and patient clients who understand and want the design process for themselves. "Carpe Diem " indeed ! DF *****