Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Manhattan Pied A Terre


My old apartment in NYC. Address: 11 East 66th St, # 2-D, Neighbors: Imelda Marcos, Tom Britt, Sister Parish, Andy Warhol, Carleton Varney, Garrick Stephenson. I wish I could say, like Taki, that this was just a little flat, that I "kept" in New York, but no, I actually lived here in this tiny but stylish studio. This was after F.I.T. when I worked for the big time designer George Clarkson, around 1983 or 84. Every day George and I went antique shopping in his chaufeurred Rolls Royce. Lunch at Mortimers, then call CZ Guest to see what she needed for the tennis house in Old Westbury. Those were the days ! A highlight was working on "Bella Vista" a 1920's Georgian overlooking Long Island Sound in Southport, CT for David and Shirley Johnston. Cole Porter used to live two doors down.

Here at 11 E. 66, I used a Brunschwig glazed faux bois chintz for my bed/banquettes, dark coffee lacquered walls I painted myself, and a writing table attributed to James Mont, from Bob Gingold Antiques. The gilt sunburst came from Paul Martini Antiques,and was saved from the old Waldorf ballroom. I very much enjoyed this small place, and wanted to share it with you.