Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Porcelain Mania

Made in Thailand, from Anthropologie

Small bowl is 19th c Imari, vases are new...

Modern dragon bowl with Agraria potpourri...

Bust, Theodore & Alexander. Frogs, from Sri Lanka

Ever since I was a young boy, I've loved anything made of porcelain or ceramic. I fell in love with blue and white porcelain at a very early age. Obviously, I love anything terribly classic ! Here are some of my favorite things, which are not especially valuable, other than aesthetically from a decorators point of view. I really love rooms devoted to the display of porcelain i.e; the Rothschilds in Paris, Carolyne Roehm in Connecticut, and William Eubanks in Palm Beach, as well as many of the palaces of Europe...porcelain displayed on brackets is wonderful. I also have two chargers of Rose Medallion, which are still packed away from the last move. I once was taken to a beautiful house in Charlotte, North Carolina, where the living room had been designed around a significant collection of Japanese Imari. Over thirty years later, I still remember what a warm, gracious, and stunning room it was. DF*****