Monday, July 23, 2012

What Makes A House Personal? Part Deux







I didn't quite get my point across yesterday about the personal aspects of residential buildings. I believe that if you feel a connection to an object or a place, then it's bound to become personal. For myself, I love things like how a window treatment looks from outside, pea gravel for gardens and driveways, creeping fig on certain garden walls and even the house itself.


Here are two properties, one in Charleston, SC and one here in Naples, FL - that begin to demonstrate what I'm talking about. I can certainly see how the owner of this European inspired house is cultivating a certain "decadence" - and there is a fine line between romantic beauty and just plain run down and messy! My Charleston house, a long time pet project of ours, is from 1830 and has yellow paint with green shutters. The paint for the shutters was purchased in France and shipped over. The owners (my clients) love American antiques, and have filled the house with them. I did this sketch about 12 years ago, and it conveys the quaint charm of the house. ENJOY! DF *****