Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Finding Your Bliss, Inspiration and Passion













My former living room in Naples....



Sometimes, I do wonder why I'm still posting on this blog. It's been about three years now. I've met some wonderful new friends via this outlet, and it is a form of creative expression. Some are even making a living doing it. Perhaps if the economy makes a dramatic improvement, I'll again be too busy to do this, or can hire someone else to do it. Finding your bliss is often a theme of many design blogs, and I feel like it's a worthy subject. Figure out what makes you feel enlightened and then go after it! Whatever it is, DO IT! There are so many things I find intriguing, and interesting. Sometimes I have difficulty focusing on what I really like. Work is a central theme for me, and I chose my career path many years ago, when I was about 17. The other night I was out to dinner with a client, who is also a friend, and we ran into another friend of mine- I introduced them to each other, and then experienced a spontaneous burst of BLISS as I was able to tell Mark that Nancy's house had been featured in "Naples Illustrated" - by way of mentioning that Kathy Becker, the editor, had recently resigned. Then I told Nancy that Mark had recently appeared in "Veranda". These magazines are signifiers- for having reached a certain plateau. I had just been telling Nancy how competitive the field of interior design had become, and it was such a pleasure to be with her, and then to see Mark. Thanks to Nancy, who is very involved in local charities, I've gained entree' to some of the most beautiful homes in Naples, for various charity related parties. I do think it's been good for me to live here, in a smaller city, as the extreme hot house atmosphere of the fashion capitals is a little too much. (for me) So, whatever your dream, your desire, or your passion is, keep it alive, and just maybe one day it can become your reality! DF *****