Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Focus on Lighting: Lanterns










I love lanterns! Lately, there's been a huge trend toward overscaled lanterns, among the designers in the know. This post is about a sub-cat of lanterns, the English bell jar, also known as a hundi - Price Glover in New York has the best selections of reproduction lanterns of this type, and I also found a sort of modern interpretation from a source called Murray Feiss, which has a collection called Salon Maison, which I am specifying for a condominium residence here in Naples. I have always loved the 19th century elegance of these lanterns. I am not sure whether they originated in the 19th or the 18th, however, they are the epitome of understated classic elegance, and I would like to see a revival of their use, somewhat like the huge popularity of swing arm lamps fostered by design icons like Billy Baldwin, Arthur Smith, and Mica Ertegun -Don't you just love this amethyst colored model from Price Glover? I certainly do. DF *****








Price Glover 59 East 79th Street, New York, NY 10021 (212) 772-1740 http://www.pricegloverinc.com/