Monday, April 13, 2020

FOLLY: Rustic Fantasy

Reynolda House and Gardens, Winston-Salem, NC

I spent a lot of quality time when I was younger at the beautiful Reynolda estate  in the Piedmont area of North Carolina.  The shade of the old trees along with the fragrance of the old boxwoods was intoxicating.

Several years ago I was revisiting this enchanted place and discovered this charming, rustic gazebo which I found so beautiful in it's simplicity yet functionality.  Look closely and you'll notice that it's been furnished with some good looking outdoor furniture suitable for small gatherings or ladies luncheon's -very nice!

Back in the day as a student at Reynolds high school I had a good friend, Donnie Adams, who was actually a docent at Reynolda house and this gave us a fabulous entrée to the entire place.  We used to spend a lot of time down in the basement which was an art deco fantasy complete with wet bar, indoor pool and bowling alley -it was quite charming and very much of the period. And Donnie would go behind the bar and fix me a drink and put two straws in it in beautiful pastel colors -he was such a sweet young man.  We both ended up attending the Fashion Institute of Technology in Manhattan after high school -although I believe he did a stint in the service as well.  Sadly, Donnie was one of the first friends of mine who died from AIDS.  Very young and very talented.

Many years later I am residing year-round in the resort town of Naples, Florida where I discovered these charming reproduction outdoor chairs which I think would look great in that gazebo up at Reynolda in lovely old Winston-Salem.  Be safe! XO DF