Monday, April 2, 2012

Room of the Week, Elsa Schiaparelli




I was certainly most fortunate to attend the Fashion Institute of Technology, New York in the early 1980's, and famous names from the NYC design world would be invited to the school (we also had the entire Parsons interior design faculty for our regular classes) to speak and sometimes demonstrate their work. Paige Rense Noland, Mark Hampton, Mario Buatta, Albert Hadley, Melvin Dwork, BeBe Winkler, Sara Lee, and Jeremiah Goodman among many others came and spoke to us. It was such fun and so very exciting. Many of my classmates went on to become top New York designers themselves. Today, two things inspired me to write on DFS. One, A WIJW post by my friend designer James Andrew, featuring the work of Jeremiah, the famous illustrator, and two, the April issue of House Beautiful featuring a bedroom by designer Steven Sclaroff - using a vintage KREISS headboard as a focal point, with a Clarence House fabric for it's upholstery, which I was looking at today for a client of mine. I had a wonderful day today, meeting with a client from Pittsburgh, and then shopping for another client from Indiana who has a very nice house here in Naples. Enjoy this beautiful rendering by Jeremiah of my "Room of the Week" inspired by the famous fashion designer Elsa Schiaparelli. DF *****