Thursday, September 12, 2013

Sister, Mario, and Dean !

Concept sketch, D.F.I.D.
We're having a great time planning my new apartment- here in The Moorings- and wanted to share this designer sketch, known as an "esquisse" with you, dear readers...I was inspired by seeing a false fireplace in the office of Mrs. Henry Parish, II- and have decided to use a Louis XV style mantel in my new living room- oddly enough, the small cottage once owned by Albert Hadley, here in Naples, also had a white painted Louis XV style mantel!  As for dear Mario B, my new palette is an homage to him, since it combines the colours of a garden...

Mrs. Parish's former maisonette, by Mario Buatta

Above, notice the rouge marble Louis XV mantel, which helps to create an architectural focal point. We plan to hang the circa 1800 gilt wood mirror above my mantel, and I really like very much the refined mix that is a classic signature of Mario's work, and we hope to achieve this look in my new flat. (on a smaller scale!)  The other focal point in this view is the magnificent red chinoiserie secretary.


Above, in a vintage Palm Beach house, a gilt sunburst was hung above the mantel.  Notice there is no rug on the dark wood floor- we are also considering a dark wood floor, versus a tile floor.  I like the subtle French undertones of this room, which I had posted about previously, under Maurice Fatio.

Dean Farris Interior Design

Above, my copy of a "Versailles" style sunburst, with mirror, after a model by Line Vautrin.  This mirror was sourced from Wisteria, which is owned by the daughter of Lisa Newsome, the founder of the beautiful decor' magazine- VERANDA.  I'm not sure where it will go yet, probably above the circa 1900 cognac brown leather chesterfield sofa.  I'm mostly using existing furnishings for my new flat, and we may or may not use the ikat jute rug shown in an earlier post...and stay tuned for some exciting news! (secret) - what do you think? Should we go with a bare floor, or add a rug? Any thoughts and suggestions would be most appreciated!  Cheers!  DF *****