Saturday, August 25, 2012

A Great Book by Rosecrans Baldwin



Summer is always a nice time to find a good book, and indulge in the pleasure of actually taking the time to read the damn thing. I still prefer actual bound books, not the Kindel, or the Nook...as I like the cozy idea of having tons of books around me, stacked, shelved, and carefully, strategically placed- like the works of art that they are.


I recently discovered, via the actual brick and mortar Barnes & Noble, here in Naples- (our branch of Borders has already closed, and been replaced by a Trader Joes Market)- this highly entertaining and engaging work, by Rosecrans Baldwin, called "Paris I Love You, But You're Bringing Me Down".


Like a Peter Mayle "Year In Provence" in reverse, Mr. Baldwin gives a hilarious account of living in Paris, while holding down a full time job and writing a novel, and sharing a flat in the Marais with his wife. I totally enjoyed it, and thought I'd share it with you. Now I can read his other (first) book, "You Lost Me There"- which is always fun to do.


Another thing I wanted to mention, regarding reading, is a blog called "Reggie Darling, The View From Darlington House" - if you haven't seen this one, check it out, it's a hoot, and I'm already addicted to it's quirky and highly informative charms. Pompey is so adorable. See my link below. DF *****