Thursday, December 3, 2009

Saint Barth's Christmas

I want to share with you my experience working for the late designer Robert Metzger. Every year, for the holidays, Robert and his business partner, architect Michael Christiano, would leave New York for two glorious weeks on Saint Bartheleme'. I always thought what a great way to celebrate this season so geared to children, when one is not really involved with children in any way ! This is definitely what I prefer to do. Every year for the past five years, William and I have gone to the fabulous desert resort of Palm Springs, California. It is such a beautiful place, and I really enjoy the dry desert air.
Robert Metzger was featured many times in "Architectural Digest" and I enjoyed meeting some of his celebrity clients, including John and Tatum McEnroe, Carolina and Reinaldo Herrera, James Robinson III of American Express, Claudia Cohen, and many others in the glitterati set. Robert was a wonderful man, a native New Yorker, and I learned a lot from him. He used antiques in a very fresh and irreverent way, and he made everything look effortless. His swank offices on East 58th Street, adjacent to the D & D building were always buzzing with activity. It was a great time in my life. The Christmas party he threw for us at his Central Park West home was always wonderfully gracious, with a staff of uniformed servants, fresh flowers, and good food. He inherited this apartment, and before I came on board, he had operated his business from it as well. I remember him fondly, and remember the day that I ran into George Markarian, and he told me of Robert's untimely demise. Thanks for a great time Robert, you were the best ! DF *****