Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy New Year 2010


Tonight, Billy and I will be celebrating at the home of Ellen and Johnny Harris...Albert Hadley has referred to their home as "his favorite in Florida" - and it is a wonderful house located in Aqualane Shores. It's always a pleasure to see this charming couple, whom I met through Albert. (Johnny remodeled Albert's cottage on 11th Avenue South in Old Naples). The neighborhood is a mix of old and new, but because it is all waterfront lots, steps from the beach and shops, it is pricey. The new house across the street from the Harris home is listed for sale at 5.5 million. Yours truly once lived nearby at "Petit Square" the Walter Keller designed building containing Maus & Hoffman and other shops, with apartments above. My apartment sold for around $800,000.00...I later bought a smaller place at Bayfront and lived there for almost three years. Bayfront is a mixed use community, with its own marina and views facing Naples Bay and Port Royal. When I lived at Petit Square it was owned by the aunt of my friend Diane Uihlein...this old auntie donated 65 million to the city of Milwaukee for a new sports stadium ! Diane's grandparents lived in a palatial Naples house during the winter that the Kennedys considered purchasing before they bought in Palm Beach. It's all very interesting, and I still remember the Christmas party Diane threw where she had a "female impersonator" come out as Evita Peron/Donna Summer...her voice was amplified as he/she belted out "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" and of course, neighbors summoned the police to quiet her down ! Oh, what a treat that was.

Here is another shot I took of my living room sporting the new "Nantucket Red" curtains... Here's to another great year ! DF *****