Sunday, July 1, 2018

INSPIRED BY: My Many Brilliant Interior Design Mentors

Dean Farris Interior Design

Over the past forty plus years, I've been most fortunate to have known and been mentored by some of the finest and most talented decorators and designers in the business.

Having been selected to study at the Art Institute of Atlanta, under chairman, Stan Topol , and then later the Fashion Institute of Technology, under chairman, Stanley Barrows  - as well as study abroad in Bath, U.K. at the American Museum in Britain, during the reign of Ian McCallum  - I was exposed to the very best taste and taught a very thorough history of art and design as well as architecture.

In the above image, of my own flat in Naples, Florida , you can see the influence of masters I've known throughout my career, including Mario Buatta, Albert Hadley, Tom Britt, and many others.  Every single day, I think about them and all that I've learned from them as well as the fabulous schools where I studied interior design and art history.

This assemblage is very personal, and includes many furnishings and objects that were given to me over the years.  Slipper chairs, Louis XIV style arm chairs, a chesterfield sofa, a rattan side table, and many other items remind me of dear friends and fond memories.

Dean Farris Interior Design

In the close up of my "collector's table" (above) you can see lamps and blue and white pieces which were gifts from Billy, and a large dragon bowl I purchased from him when he was with Maison Auclair- and a small collection of decorative sea shells too.  In case you think I'm oblivious to minimalism, click here to see a client progress shot...!

(c) DFID 2018


Have a great and memorable Fourth of July! DF

* * * * *