Friday, June 12, 2015

The Sister of the Island

Mimi McMakin, via Kemble Interiors

Another of my very favorite Palm Beach-New York designers is Mimi McMakin.  There was a wonderful, candid interview with her in Flower magazine~and Mimi trained with famed Polly Jessup after design school...she (Mimi) described Mrs. Jessup, as being like the "Sister Parish of Palm Beach", with a similar clientele.  It's interesting to note that the PB designer, Scott Snyder, lives in Polly Jessup's old house! The last time I visited Scott, his office was on Worth Avenue, in a beautiful upstairs space.  That was years ago.  My friend, Wilcox Cronan, is interning with Scott this summer. 

I recently was taken to the Audubon Country Club, here in Naples, and saw the décor that Mimi created, it's a masterpiece of understated elegance.  I had the best scallops I've ever tasted.  Mimi also did the Royal Poinciana Club here, as well as the Port Royal Beach Club...kudos to Mimi!  I love that she has a dog named Anchovie ! How cute!  Enjoy!  DF *****

* * * * *

“In life as in design, it is not perfection you should be after. There’s beauty in the faded and worn, the well loved, and the sentimental…After all, life has seams. Your home should be like a loosely woven fabric of desires, memories, practical, notions, and even compromises.” – Celerie Kemble