Sunday, June 3, 2012

Roland Park, Billy Baldwin



I've been re-reading my copy of "Billy Baldwin" by Michael Gardine, and was interested to see how proud Mr. Baldwin was of his family home - on Goodwood Gardens, in Baltimore's Roland Park. It's interesting that he described the house as being "in the smartest part of Roland Park" - an early Olmstead project, developed between 1890 and the 1920s (similar to Tuxedo Park, NY - home of Dorothy Draper). While I have no image of the house the Baldwin family owned, at 204 Goodwood Gardens, I did find this current listing for 210 Goodwood Gardens...and found it interesting as a post for DFS. The Baldwin house was designed by top New York architect, Charles Platt. I think the atmosphere of elegance and privilege that Billy grew up in definitely predestined him for his career as a top New York decorator. One of the things that struck me about 210 is the pale taupe painted brick - as I've always noticed that some of the most elegant homes in the south are painted this understated and handsome putty color. Enjoy these images! DF ***** P.S. Stay tuned for my upcoming post on charming Tradd Street, Charleston, S.C.