Monday, April 12, 2010

Mad For : Louis XV Style

I especially like this signed piece from M.S. Rau, New Orleans






From Cedric DuPont, West Palm Beach






















A showroom sample I got from Tony Victoria...








Made in Spain... from Albert Hadley






A good copy from Eric Dumont...






Ever since my parents purchased a provincial Louis XV style cane chair for me (when I was about sixteen) I've been in love with french furniture, both country and royal... I'm particularly drawn to the Rococo or Louis XV - Regence period... I love the curves and the natural aristocracy of these pieces as well as the boiserie, mantels, chandeliers and houses that they came from. I have been so fortunate to meet some of the top dealers in the United States and abroad, and met Helen Fioratti at the Winter Antiques Show one year. In 1965, Helen took over L'Antiquaire in New York City, and she has written a great book for collectors. Her daughter is an artist and lives in Florence. F.P. Victoria in New York is another favorite, and I enjoy knowing Tony, Freddy, and Susan Victoria from business dealings when I lived in the city. Here are some great images I've (respectfully) borrowed from nine of my preferred dealers.... other sources I like and recommend are Bernard Steinitz and J. Kugel in Paris, Dalva Brothers in New York, Mary Helen McCoy in Charleston, and 1st dibs... the fabulous website created by San Franciscan Michael Bruno. DF *****