Tuesday, April 13, 2010

DFS: Concept for a Stylish Hall

Photo, courtesy Naples Daily News
I designed this smaller foyer in Naples for a bachelor, we removed a closet to enlarge the area, mirrored two walls and a door, added a leopard carpet on the stairs, and used his existing steel consulat style table purchased from Michael Greer, New York

I also very much like this mirror from Phyllis Washington, Palm Desert, as an "option" to the pair of blackamoor mirrors shown below...

A lovely rendering of a Carleton Varney design by Mita Corsini Bland, courtesy of the book, "Sister Parish Design - On Decorating"


I'd copy this floor, only in a painted version...
(Vizcaya)


Then, I'd use two pairs of these chairs to flank the pair of commodes...We might have to have three copies made...




I would use two of these , from M.S. Rau , one above each of the commodes, from F.P. Victoria, New York. Note the blackamoors on the mirror...

A pair of these commodes, from F.P. Victoria, New York, would be positioned in the hall with the pair of blackamoor mirrors above, flanked by the pairs of Louis XV chairs from Cedric DuPont, West Palm Beach... topped with large fresh floral arrangements from the cutting garden...


One could hang a John Little from Spanierman Modern gallery above this commode from M.S. Rau, New Orleans... for a fabulous "shock of the new" effect , versus a mirror...





I really love the idea of an impressive, cold, and yet elegant and gracious entrance hall...my favorite ones usually involve a patterned floor (especially black and white diamonds) and a certain formality. I love symmetry in a hall, and I like the element of surprise, such as a large piece of sculpture, or an intimate seating area tucked into the stairwell. I do like bold colors in halls... I love lanterns and chandeliers.... large ornate mirrors, and polished floors... also, I like to see and smell fresh flowers, the bigger the arrangement the better ! If one has a hall, it can be small and still have style... lighting is a very big factor. I love silvery elevator foyers, and black lacquer walls inset with antique mirrors or chinoiserie panels....here, I wanted to show how using some "statement" pieces can brighten up a foyer... hoping this inspires you to create a hall of your very own ! DF *****