Thursday, April 22, 2010

Brandon Branch




The Lady & Sons


A peek inside Paula and Brandon's "Savannah Style"



I was born in a town called Albany, Georgia. I loved this town until I was taken away at age five, to live in Florida... My mother's side all lived in rural Georgia out in Worth County, on a large farm, where my grandparents raised cotton, peanuts, soybeans, watermelons, corn, sugar cane, pecans and many other crops. My mother was a true southern belle, and still is. My grandmother always had silver that was being stolen by the maids. The shocker was one night, we were roused from our beds, the house was on fire, and we all sat on chairs in a circle and watched it burn to the ground. Shades of "Gone With The Wind" - anyway, I found this new Paula Deen book (she came from Albany before Savannah) about her house which her assistant Brandon Branch helped her with. My mother knows some of Paula's family, and is also related to the pro golfer Nancy Lopez through her cousin Ray Knight, who is Nancy's husband... Brandon appears to very talented, and he loves to have libations and do flowers. One of my favorite memories of Albany is the "Pink House" a big fat antebellum style stucco house, painted a bold pink, with very large columns... I always loved it as a child, and I remember playing with the camelias that grew around our house. The azaleas were huge, and I had such fun there, playing with my childhood friend Charlie Tisdale. I do think that first impressions form our early lives, and I was lucky to live in such a quiet and pretty place.




DF***** copyright Dean Farris (apologies to my dear Mammy)