Monday, May 6, 2019

DECORATIVE: Chinese Fans

Dean Farris Interior Design 

I was out shopping yesterday and came across these charming  and inexpensive Chinese fans. One dollar!  The chic of high-low!!  Orientalism- exoticism- ! They reminded me of when I had visited the townhouse of Angelo Donghia many years ago- he had fans which I believe Richard Giglio had made propped in different rooms in his house there on the upper East side of Manhattan- The memory of which I still relish- This entrée was due to the fact that I had Reginald Charrier as an instructor at the Art Institute of Atlanta and he was able to get us in - he later worked as a draftsman for Parish Hadley-

Another thing I noticed which I got a kick out of was my plate (antique Mintons plate) had Chinese fans on it as well- so decorative!  These fans were also popular with Karl Lagerfeld and were seen throughout the 1970's disco era- fun! CHIC! C'est chic, Le freak ! DF