Monday, December 3, 2012

Decorator Inspirations

It's the holiday season, once again!  I know you've missed me, I've been so terribly busy with all of my clients, getting ready for the high season here in sunny Naples...I think what inspires me the most is defined by one word: authenticity.  I've been in so many mind blowingly beautiful homes lately, by architects such as Jeff Harrell, and builders such as BCB- and yesterday William (Billy) and I were in the Art Canada house, on Third Street South, that I helped to furnish, along with Brenda Canada.  Celine Godof was showing it, as it's listed for sale, and I was delighted to see that all 35 pieces of the Althorp collection I had placed in the house were still there, "in situ".  So many pieces of "Althorp Living History Collection"went to that house, that I received a letter of thanks from none other than Earl Spencer, the brother of the late Princess Diana...!  For a virtual tour, courtesy of Celine and Premier-Sotheby's go to http://www.hdhomeview.com/swfl/175_3rd_st_s.html 



Gloria Laura Vanderbilt
 And of course, I'm always fantasizing about, and inspired by, the eternally beautiful, elegant Gloria!  Here's a current picture of her- can you guess her age?  You'll never guess- not 39, not 49, not 59...it's 88 years young!  How elegant and fabulous, totally awesome is she? I can't think of anyone more inspiring, and more beautiful.  Lucky Anderson Cooper, he gets to call her "Mummy" ! How divine would that be?  I can only imagine- of course, my own mother, Dottie, is pretty special too... (see earlier posts).  As one of my late decorating mentors, Robert Metzger, once said, we all want a woman with a past, and a man with a future!


Sitting Room, Dean Farris Interior Design
Finally, I have to admit, I inspire myself!  I love my apartment, here in Napoli, and I just keep adding things- gifts, loaners, stuff I've dragged around for years, it never ceases to amaze me what Billy Baldwin was always talking about, the personal in decoration.  And like dear BB, I find the older I get, the less I need, and the more I know how to make less look and feel like more!  DF ***** 


Gloria Vanderbilt, 1970 Francesco Scavullo