Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Georgia On My Mind, Historic Properties

As a native of the great state of Georgia, U.S. - I've been most fortunate to be exposed to a high taste level and a love of tradition, that comes with growing up in the South.  Four iconic properties come to mind, one in Thomasville, two in Atlanta, and one in Savannah...  Georgia also has amazing homes in places like Jekyll Island, Sea Island, Albany, and Macon.
Pebble Hill, 1896

The "Big Room" at historic quail shooting plantation, Pebble Hill, Thomasville, GA  I admire the murals, coffered ceiling, carpet, and interesting arrangement of furnishings.  See my previous post on Pebble Hill Plantation- under Gillionville - Town and Country... notice the fresh ferns in the planter - I read that Paige Rense always abhorred ferns. Interesting bit of trivia.  I find it interesting too that the decorator here did not try too hard to match the mural colours.

Knollwood, 1911

This one hundred year old plus house in Buckhead, northwest Atlanta, is on Woodhaven Road...it recently sold for around six million... I very much admire the vine covering (creeping fig?) the lower central block, and am using this house as a good example of a proper brick colour for the new house we are helping to build in Simpsonville, SC.  This house presents an impressive, yet warm and inviting facade, and I believe it is attributed to the firm of Hentz, Reid and Adler.  Please correct me if I am wrong! The house is adjacent to the governor's, and it is said that Teddy Roosevelt dined here.  Buckhead is also home to the beautiful Inman house, called Swan House- also by Phillip Trammel Shutze. (see below) of HRA...

Swan House, 1928

Mercer-Williams House, 1860

Above, another favorite room, from The Mercer House, in Savannah.  Bill and I toured the house a few years ago, and of course enjoyed it, since the publication of "Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil" was such a sensation, exposing a slightly sinister world of high society antique dealing that occurred while Mr. Jim Williams owned the house.  This room is referred to as "The Ballroom" and Jim Williams was known for his lavish annual Christmas party, which was like a miniature Mrs. Astor and her elite "four hundred" ball- which helped one decide whether one was "in society" or not! (a bit of ancient social history) I very much like this lilac wall colour shown here.  I'm sure that Mrs. Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis loved it too, when she visited Mercer House.  Enjoy this glimpse into the old South, a place where mystery and intrigue still thrive!  DF*****