Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Old Fashioned Glamour

The beautiful Gutfreund Salle a Manger, New York

Birds of a feather...

James Andrew at the Frick, New York

The style I still prefer, and strive for, is what I call "old fashioned glamour" - or as the kids say "old school" - chintz, english furniture mixed with french and italian...beautiful curtains, good architecture. Here is an image showing the Dining Room belonging to the Gutfreunds in New York. This is an iconic example, and I think it's incredibly beautiful, and represents almost a lost way of living. This portrait of my friend James Andrew is in the same mood, and is one of my favorite pictures of him, from his famous blog What Is James Wearing? - James is a very quiet, very talented man, who has worked in the past for Ralph Lauren and Albert Hadley. The beautiful birds are in a cage in Susan Gutfreunds Winter Garden Room. They remind me of the painter Hunt Slonem... he loves birds ! Enjoy ! DF *****