Wednesday, April 8, 2020

VIEW: Babe Paley

1980's re-creation of Babe's sitting room by Albert Hadley

I love perusing through my interior design books and today I was looking at "New York interior design 1935 to 1985" by Judith Gura, and found this photograph of Babe Paley's former Saint Regis hotel sitting room which Billy Baldwin had created for her originally.  I always loved looking at photographs of the original room with the Belle Epoque style the shirrred fabric walls - the mix of French furniture with slip covered upholstery.  Many years ago when I worked with Tice Alexander Parish Hadley after he left Parish Hadley he and I worked together and he told me that he had been to the Paley's fifth Avenue apartment where babes Billy Baldwin sitting room had been reinstalled and refreshed by Albert Hadley.  So funny, as I just now discovered this picture of the room which I love!


Description

Barbara "Babe" Cushing Mortimer Paley was an American socialite and style icon, whose second husband was the founder of CBS, William S. Paley. She was known by the popular nickname "Babe" for most of her life. She was named to the International Best Dressed List Hall of Fame in 1958.


Babe Paley at St. Regis, NYC