Wednesday, April 15, 2020

KEY WEST: David Wolkowsky

Key West House of the late David Wolkowsky 

Once upon a time, Billy and I were down in Key West and as usual we would rent a little golf cart and ride around old town and into Newtown as well.  Of course being the visual person that I am I took quite a few pictures and one of them was of this house that I thought was interesting.

Surprise! I later found out that this was the former residence of  DAVID WOLKOWSKY !  Known locally as "Mr. Key West" you can read about his fabulous life  in this NY Times obit...

David Wolkowsky (August 25, 1919 – September 23, 2018)[1] was an American developer from Key West, Florida.

Turns out, many years ago Billy had met David through his friend Tilly Ramos many years ago on the island and David is the one who founded the pier house.  Quite the raconteur, Mr. Wolkowsky was known for his great style, flamboyance and personality and he had a sister up in Miami as well.  He was also a very good friend of the writer Tennessee Williams, one of my personal favorites.  Here, He's looking dashing in his classic Mercedes convertible.  Style!  DF


David Wolkowsky via New York Times