Tuesday, December 23, 2014

More Really Is More

Lilly Pulitzer
While I never had the pleasure of meeting the late Lilly Pulitzer Rousseau, I had always admired her and her beautiful line of clothing~  When I saw this picture of her former living room in Palm Beach, I thought, wow, what a great example of the old adage, "More is More" !  Large rooms certainly demand a great deal of furniture and decoration, and as you can see here, Lilly did not hold back!  The mix of prints and colors is done with a barely controlled sense of wild abandon, and the art makes a big statement as well.  That large pair of covered porcelain jars on the far wall went for something like $47,000.00 at the Leslie Hindman auction of the LP estate.  
Mimi McMakin, also of PB, has recently been here in Naples re-decorating the Royal Poinciana club (known as the RP) and is now doing up the Audubon Country Club as well!   My old pal, Mario Buatta, is just finishing a large house in Palm Beach, and we have Timothy Corrigan coming to visit Naples in February! Owning a chateau in France is certainly a good example of more is more...and TC has one!
Take a tour of it on the Quintessence blog!
Check out his book on the subject, "An Invitation to Chateau du Grand-Luce'" ~and back to Lilly, I did pop in to a Lilly shop here in Naples (we have two) and found out the men's line has been discontinued!  I only have one of her swimsuits, and it's almost rotten from chlorine in the pool!  Vintage shops here I come!  Enjoy!  Merry Christmas!  
DF *****
*******  
      *******