Thursday, January 24, 2013

Rococo Romance in a 16th Century Chateau


Chateau de Talcy
I'm most intrigued, and enchanted by, this beautiful room in the Loire Valley, near Blois, in the Chateau de Talcy.    While the house itself dates from around 1520, the interiors were done up in the 18th, and have been preserved as a monument of France- the house is open for tours and sees about 20,000 visitors a year.  If you've read some of my previous posts on decorating, you know that I'm fatally partial to the style known as Rococo, aka Louis XV.  Every night, while sleeping, this is what I dream of.



Salle a manger, Chateau de Talcy

Above, check out the absolutely stunning wall paper- and that floor! Not to mention those deliciously milky looking beams.  Pure perfection.  I also am admiring the soft stamped velvet on the chaises, how the colour works with the elegant turquoise ground of the walls.  Divine!  Chateau de Talcy, 18 rue du Chateau 41370 Talcy, FR  Enjoy!  DF *****   

9 comments:

  1. Thanks to Joni Webb, of the blog, Cote de Texas, I was introduced to the beauty of Chateau de Talcy. Merci' Mdme Webb!

    DF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Readers, Click on the images to enlarge them!

    DF

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just getting around to checking out your latest blog! Wonderful. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Dean,
    This is my first visit to your blog. I enjoyed this post as it bought back memories for me of a lovely visit we made to the Chateau de Talcy last year.
    It has some interesting empire rooms as well as a wonderful garden ith a rather romantic well.
    Bye for now
    Kirk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirk,

      Always a pleasure to hear from a reader! I would love to visit the chateau, as you evidently already have, am reading a new bio on Chanel, and she spent a lot of time in the Chateau world in her youth.
      DF

      Delete
    2. I didn't realise that about Chanel. As for me I just finished reading a really good bio of Christian Dior (by Marie-France Pochna) We will be in Normandy next month for a few weeks and I am hoping to visit the Dior museum at Granville.
      Kirk

      Delete
    3. Dear Kirk,

      I will find a copy of the CD book you mention, thank you. How exciting to visit the Dior musee! I just missed the Cocteau museum in Menton, when I was passing through...

      DF

      Delete
  5. Hi Dean,
    Oh to have a set of 8 of those Louis XV chairs. Those + boiserie are the most important elements of an 18th c. room. Sets of those wonderful chairs are so rare to come by here in DC. Only every couple of years will a pair turn up at auction or at a dealer. Thanks for the reverie.

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete

Please do comment, love the rapport!