Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Making an Entrance, Kirkeby Estate, Bel Air







I found this image (photo by Charles White) in the 1988 book "Interior Views" by Chris Casson Madden. A decorator showhouse, the grand foyer was done by Kalef Alaton and Craig Wright, as an homage to Michael Taylor. I'm sure that Mrs. Reagan would love this hall too. I very much like the overall classical mood, and the house was built in the 1930's. If I couldn't change out the floor, (not a color I love) I would find a beautiful old very colorful Savonnerie and have it installed here. Not shown to the left is a Louis XV gilt console "from the Rothschild collection". The Waterford chandelier is credited as being "ten feet in diameter" ! Wow! That's a lot of crystal for one foyer. However, in studying the image, I feel that the scale of this fixture is perfect for the space - and plan to show it to my long standing clients in South Carolina as an example of proper scale for a foyer chandelier. I know they'll love it, as it exudes the high style they love. It'll go very nicely with the vintage Rolls they keep parked outside...! Enjoy! Looking forward to seeing Mr. Romney and family in Tampa! DF *****