Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Passion for Purple

"Lilac" painted outdoor furniture ...

Photograph courtesy Britt Carpenter

Gorgeous amethyst bracelet, on Bounkit


That Tom James shirt again...


I discovered this "Party Girl" wallpaper on Julie Neill's blog "Bayou Contessa"



Jonathan Adler's lilac pencils, James Andrew in purple Gucci


Designer Ned Marshall's Garden District Foyer, New Orleans


This lovely Mottahedeh "Vista Alegre" plate was a gift


Under the fragrant orchid tree...


A close up view of the orchid tree blossom...


These are always blooming under my windows...


This porcelain garden seat was a gift from Naples Lamp Shop


A Clarence House linen; "Montpensier" from France



A really fun card from my good friend Mary...

Violet, Royal, Plum. Lilac, Lavender, Fuschia. These are just a few of the hundreds of names we have for the color purple. I was inspired to write today about purple, since for the last week I had been doing green... somehow, these two colors are related in my mind. I sometimes wear a purple check shirt with faux emerald cuff links... and purple-ish flowers often have green leaves. Mystical qualities are associated with this color, and the amethyst stone is a favorite of mine - I once was in Paris, and discovered a decorating shop on the right bank which displayed huge pieces of the crystal placed casually on the floor, mixed with potted orchids. I also am a big fan of orchids. Albert Hadley, my famous mentor and friend, once said "Lavender is the beige of the nineties" similar to Diana Vreeland famously saying that "Pink is the navy blue of India" ! My friend and fellow decorator James Andrew is fond of a certain Gucci jacket with purple and turquoise mixed together... James is a great colorist, and quite a fashionista. See http://www.whatisjameswearing.com/ for more on Mr. Andrew. This purple prose could go on and on, and I will write more later on this subject. Elizabeth Taylor has always been known as having "violet" eyes, but I doubt that she would ever be considered a "shrinking violet" ... enjoy these images - think green - and purple ! DF*****