Monday, March 29, 2010

Mark Hampton and David Hicks


Stately Home Inspiration !



My DH inspired "tablescape"


Mark and Duane Hampton with DH influence



Mark Hampton for Anne Bass, Fifth Avenue



There seems to be a recurring theme here, in that I keep posting and thinking about designers I've known or know of who have children who invariably have gone in to the business as well. Ashley Hicks just came out with a great new book on his father, David, and Alexa Hampton carries on the tradition established by her late father, Mark. Mark Hampton worked for David Hicks and Parish Hadley before going out on his own, in chic and serious offices on Madison Avenue. I first met Mark when he came to FIT to give a lecture to the design students, and I also visited his office one day when he was out. I've always admired his style and taste, and loved seeing his house in Southampton with the little sign at the end of the pea gravel driveway reading simply "Hampton". (I was staying in the guest house of Mrs. Rodgers Denkla on Halsey Neck Lane as a guest of designer George Clarkson). James Andrew also worked for Albert Hadley, and he recently visited the Eleuthera home of the late, great David Hicks, known as "Savannah"... James has also been compared to DH on his designer blog "What Is James Wearing?" and has become friends with India Hicks, a siren of chic. I am reminded of my first trip to London, in 1977, where I saw the David Hicks shop, all done up in scarlet and a shocking ultra violet. It made a strong impression. Style, chic, taste, and exposure were all screaming out to me ! I will always remember that first trip with great fondness. I cherish my vintage DH design books, given to me by my parents many years ago. DF *****