Tuesday, October 13, 2015

The Michael Taylor Flower

Hydrangea, also known as Hortensia (Fr)
Did you know that Michael Taylor, the iconic San Francisco designer, loved hydrangeas?  Did you know that in French they are called Hortensia

I still recall seeing some dried (French) hydrangea arranged massively in the reception room of the late Robert Metzger's design office, when I worked there after having left Tice Alexander.  They looked great, even though they were dried.  They added a nice softness to the somewhat heavily Biedermeier look of that space. 

Michael would get these Chinese wood baskets and put the big hydrangeas, which he always called "hydraneas" in them, for a maximum floral impact, which was great for the magazine stylists and editors.   All in a days work!  Enjoy!  DF *****
* * * * *
 


4 comments:

  1. Dean, Hydrangeas are a favorite of mine along with peonies and orchids.
    That image is glorious and hydrangeas do dry beautifully!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena
    Palm Beach Chic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. K,
      As I composed this brief post, I thought, oh, I hope people don't think he only used hydrangea- there were orchids galore! Ficus trees forever! Fig trees! My one wish is that I could have known Michael Taylor. However, I do know Stephen M. Salny, who wrote the definitive book on MT, and the foreword by Rose Tarlow is very illuminating and so charmingly written by her.

      Dean Farris

      Delete

Please do comment, love the rapport!