Sunday, January 23, 2011

Albert Hadley







You can imagine how exciting it was for me, when attending FIT, and having Stanley Barrows for my faculty chair, when people like Albert would come and talk to us about our chosen career path. It was a thrill I'll never get over. Albert knows how to convey glamour and a sense of style, grounded in history and knowledge, that resonates with anyone truly interested in design and decor. He's a lot of fun too, and never wears his knowledge too heavily. I enjoy looking at this book every so often, to remind myself of what a genius he really is. To hear him talk about people like Rose Cumming is to know what New York was really like, before this electronic age we now live in. It was FABULOUS! Quality was highly valued, and people would wait for it. Things took time. Things were done properly. Think about it, it wasn't all this dreck coming from China. It was the real thing baby! All worth every penny. DF *****

4 comments:

  1. Working for Albert Hadley and Sister Parish was a great educational experience for me. But how many designers -- and their clients -- must owe so much to Stanley Barrows. I met him only once and he wanted to wish me well as I was off to teach a class at Parsons, Paris. __The Devoted Classicist, http://tdclassicist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear John,

    Thanks for commenting. Tice always mentioned you with great fondness. Can't wait to go on your site, NOW!

    Dean

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have that book you show above. I love it and look at it often. Hope all is well in sunny Naples!
    xo
    S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Suzanne!

    Glad you have this book also. Albert is the epitome of a southern gentleman - he has the talent too.

    Dean*****

    ReplyDelete

Please do comment, love the rapport!