Sunday, May 24, 2020

COZY: At Home MDW

Dean Farris Interior Design (c) 2020

  Between the impending rain and the pandemic situation it seems like a good idea to just stay home.  Like most designers and decorators I'm always promoting this idea anyway- it's life enhancing as one of my mentors Albert Hadley would've said.  One of the elements I enjoy about this image which I took with my phone is the quality of light.

  The late great decorator Billy Baldwin was always saying that it's the personal in decoration that makes a room warm and inviting and I think this image conveys that idea.  While I haven't used any chintz in this room I do think it still has a mood of Colefax and Fowler in London- perhaps a Gentlemans club or personal library.

  It's important to use your rooms as much as possible because a somewhat lived-in look is what makes your room the most beautiful and I especially love having fresh flowers and plants. (See my Friday post showing a phalenopsis orchid).  Although I love fresh flowers I'm not above having certain types of artificial flowers if they amuse me.  Above, you can see where I did purchase some silk flowers from Sweetgrass Designs  here in Naples for the pair of tole Cachepot flanking the mirror.  Facing out towards the sliding glass doors I placed a pair of topiary trees (faux) exactly like the ones fashion designer Carolina Herrera has on her office terrace in Manhattan.  These trees have been with me for the last three or four moves and still look great!  Enjoy the weekend as we gradually re-open and get back to living our lives...DF