Friday, March 21, 2014

My Gilt-y Pleasure

Circa 1810 French mirror, Antiques Center of Naples



I love looking into, and at, my old gilt mirror- it has such romance and mystery...it adds so much charm and character to my smallish living room.


If you've been following me, you no doubt know by now that I very much like patina, and gilt, and things from the past- I suppose I could have my old mirror re-gilded, but it might come off looking too "repro" and I LIKE the crusty old look of it as it is, don't you?  I think it suits the cottage-y proportions of my small condo.


Now, THIS is a gilt-y pleasure!  I LOVE Versailles!  When I was there, touring- I almost fainted, since I had such a minimal lunch....and I was feeling as if I was in one of my spiritual homes...such beauty!

French commode, with gilt bronze mounts

Sean Johnson at the Biennale des Antiquaires

Here I am with my "Versailles" mirror,
as interpreted by Line Vautrin...


Green paint with gilt, Palace of Versailles


I love the mirror over mantel in Mrs. Altschul's flat, by Mario Buatta
(formerly a Sister Parish apartment)


Tom Britt's New York townhouse apartment

All of these images represent something near and dear to my design sensibility- did you know- and I've been known to make a joke at my own expense- that my nickname in design school (in Atlanta) was "Putti Baroque" ? Well, it's true !  :)  Ha!  Cheers!  Enjoy!  DF ***** Check out the GILT site !  XX