Wednesday, August 1, 2012

London To New York, Classic Style







The Olympics, in London, also have me thinking about favorite British rooms, and who wouldn't love the famous "buttah yellow" room created by the American decorator, Nancy Lancaster, who was associated with John Fowler.


Mario Buatta, in New York, was very much influenced by John Fowler, and has made his entire iconic career by re-creating the look, in a fresh and exciting manner. As for me, I've had the great pleasure of knowing Mario since the early 1980's, and have always been a huge fan of his.


My Fowler connection dates back to my association with The American Museum in Britain, in the late 1970's, where I was introduced to and got to know Peter Hood, an important English decorator, who worked with Mr. Fowler towards the end of his brilliant career. I feel strongly that the classic look of English decorating is "forever" and not subject to any current trends of fashion. Powerful people often can be found in these beautiful and aristocratic rooms, and the rooms at Blair House, in Washington, are still as valid today as they were 20 years ago. ENJOY! DF *****