Tuesday, May 11, 2010

My Grand Tour

The Royal Crescent Hotel & Spa

Built beginning in 1767, by John Wood the Younger, it took eight years to complete

One of the lovely rooms, a Relais & Chateaux property


When I was very young (20) I was sent abroad to further my education. My chaperone was Robert Morring, an antique dealer from Atlanta, and also a friend. I had a set of tweed luggage... and we did stop in New York for some parties before making the flight over. I lived abroad for a year, staying in various hotels, and I studied at the American Museum in Britain, located at Claverton manor, outside Bath. The Royal Crescent Hotel was a lovely place for a young mans first european trip, and I spent a lot of time in Bath, London, Paris, Athens, etc. I was given a letter of introduction to Jeremy Fry - the heir to Fry chocolates who sold out to Cadbury - and was blown away by the stunning beauty of his 18th century townhouse in the famous Royal Crescent. His drawing room, on the piano nobile, was all done in a shade of white, with white silk curtains, major art, and fabulous antiques. Opera played at full volume, and I was transported to a world of style, taste and imagination such as I had never experienced ! www.royalcrescent.co.uk/ tel + 44 (0) 1225 823333 DF*****