Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Cherished Clients


Sharing my experiences with clients gives me great pleasure. I started my career over thirty years ago, and my first actual client was a friend of my parents, when I was about nineteen. As a fledgling teenaged designer, I had a lot to learn, but I was able to feel my way through the process with the help of a very kind and understanding client. Today, that couple is still working with me, and I have designed many homes for them over the years. Their lake house was featured in "Country Living" magazine. When I had my design shop in Winston-Salem, I met some wonderful people, (1986-1989) and another couple from that time, Bob Gant and Martin Layton are still active clients as well. They live in a splendid 19th century jewelbox house in Charleston, SC - south of broad - and I cherish it as a pet project. Also, during that period I did some work for Mrs. Hanes at her ancestral mountain top home at "The Gap" in Roaring Gap, NC. I'll never forget her kindness and generosity, and we used the same chintz in her bedroom that Enid Haupt had in hers. Mrs Hanes's mother, DeWitt, used Mark Hampton for her Winston-Salem residence, and a local designer for her New York apartment ! All of these wonderful clients have been so good to me over the years, and I am happy to still be working with them today. DF *****