Saturday, November 4, 2017

ART: Collage 1970's

Collage and interior design by Dean Farris

I was reading one of my Parish Hadley books, and came across (the late) Harold Simmons mentioning how Albert would often mix modern things with more "traditional" ones- which inspired me to drag this old collage I had done about forty years ago into my living room- !

Harold and I met many years ago, when he invited me to come to the old Lilly Dache' building- (Parish-Hadley offices) - (no longer there) for an impromptu interview- it was a terribly hot, HOT day, and unfortunately, I was wearing a very dark blue wool suit !  I was also dragging a huge, HUGE black vinyl clad portfolio case full of fabulous over the top Jeremiah Goodman-ish renderings. Luckily, neither Sister nor Albert were there- so they missed seeing me not looking as fresh as I would have preferred.

When my old friend, the designer Thomas (Tom) Pheasant saw the collage I had done back in 1978 or so- he loved it, and said it reminded him of an illustration in W magazine, which was one of his favorites, as he always adored fashion as well as interiors.  I was flattered that he would make such a remark.  DF *****





* * * * *