Sunday, August 3, 2014

Fantasy in Decoration V

Cecil Beaton 1949

Hotel Hermitage, Monte Carlo

Maharani of Jaipur, Cecil Beaton


Dorothy Draper

De Grisogono

Dean Farris Interior Design

Marisa Berenson

18th c Russian chandelier

Pilar and Juan Molyneux

Juan Pablo Molyneux

Meissen figure of a Marquis, 1757

Valentino chez Diana Vreeland 


Angelo Donghia, 1973
I can still vividly remember being in the room shown above, the upstairs drawing room of the Manhattan townhouse apartment of the late Angelo Donghia- it was the exact same feeling I had when I toured Versailles~ I almost actually fainted! Opposite the fireplace was a stunning, tall, black Coromandel screen, which was supposed to have come from the estate of Coco Chanel.  The Richard Giglio gouache paintings contrasted wildly- and this country boy had never seen satin upholstery nor glossy blue-green highly lacquered walls, which we were told required something like 22 coats! Those walls fairly dripped with lacquer glimmering like a huge jewel!   The Bagues' looking chandelier glittered against the silvery squares of tea paper on the ceiling...the three tall windows were bare, and in front of them was a table with a huge green philodendron plant!  It read like sculpture in the space.  For as long as I live, I'll always cherish my visit to this now sacred place~ a memory that comforts me with the fabulous vibe of the 1970's!  Disco fever!  Ball gowns at 54 !

Diana Vreeland
***************************
So, enjoy the day!  And be inspired, have imagination, and give it all you've got baby! DF     

3 comments:

  1. Dean, I love this feature, all of the glorious images as well as your account of visiting Donghia's townhouse!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Featuring Artist John Matthew Moore
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karena,
    Thanks! Yes, I have such wonderful memories of my NYC days! Donghia was always one of my favorite designers, and I was often in his offices, since I had friends who worked there.
    Thanks again,
    Dean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning + What great photos you have collected. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete

Please do comment, love the rapport!