Friday, July 16, 2010

The List: Leather, Seashells, and Veranda

My small copy of a Louis XVI armchair in leather

Designer Charles Faudree using shells in Jamaica

The latest issue of VERANDA


Chocolate suede leather on Louis XV bergere


I do have such fun executing my thoughts for this post, Monday through Friday. My idea for "The Deans List" has not gotten much comment, so, I am altering the format slightly to create more interest ! Similar to my "Decorators Scrapbook" it is a feature revealing items pertaining to decorating and design that I currently am enthralled with, or simply incorporating into various projects in varying stages of completion. Today, I focus on leather upholstery, shell encrusted mirrors, and the divine shelter magazine "VERANDA" - a lush and gorgeous visual feast of a book with a very definite point of view. If you haven't seen the latest issue, do get a hold of it, I want you to see the dining room in Provence with the leather chairs... ever since I was living in New York, when I spied a pair of Louis XVI chairs upholstered in a taupe leather sitting in the window of a shop on lower Broadway, I've loved leather on french chairs. Cole Porter had some in his library by Billy Baldwin, and I just adore the Falotico leather favored by Albert Hadley. It's often glazed in a high gloss finish... and his colors are amazing. Here are a few images to pique your imagination ! DF *****